Monday, August 10, 2009

Tri-City Golf - Horn Rapids

We were able to play golf again this morning at the same place. The team here has an agreement with the course and we were fortunate enough to get passes to play yesterday. Nothing wrong with free golf. Horn Rapids is the third of the tri-cities, Richland. The course has a lot of little springs and waterfalls, both just off the course and at a lot of the houses on the course. I didn't really see any rapids, so I'm not sure where the name came from. The water also only came into play on about 3 of the holes. Yesterday we played at 6:30 and today we got to sleep in since our tee time was 7:40. We had a foursome today of myself, JT, Ack, and Bob Castle, our radio guy. Here are a few highlights....

If they say your true personality comes out on the golf course, then Bob Castle is a freaking maniac. I tried to get video of one of his blowups, but whenever I had the camera going he always seemed to hit a good shot. It is too bad because he had a few good ones. I am surprised he has a full set of clubs in his bag, I would think he would have broken a few by now. In his defense, he said it was his worst round of the year.

Ack was somehow able to hit a house on 2 consecutive shots. The first one was off the tee box and as he was trying to cut the corner, didn't quite make it. The ball bounced off the roof of the house at the bend. As we were all searching near the house for the ball, a guy came to the window and just started staring at us. I got out of there because for once my ball was on the fairway. Anyway, the ball ended up kicking off the roof back inbounds in pretty much a sand pit. So he did end up cutting the corner somewhat. He hits the next shot and falls down in the desert sand and hits a low line drive along the house line. At least it looked like it was along the house line from my angle. I heard him yell as he fell down and I watch the ball go into a porch and absolutely smoke a glass door. It bounces off the door, straight back, and lands in the middle of the neighbor's yard. I guess when you live on a course, you get really sturdy glass. It didn't even leave a mark. Luckily nobody was home or they would have surely came out to see what the commotion was.

JT was his usual, consistent self. He did have a hole where his drive was headed way left, but kicked off the bunker lip or a rake and bounced back into the fairway, hit his 2nd shot just off the green, bladed the 3rd shot that squarely nailed the flagstick and landed 3 feet from the hole, and putted in for par. Living right, I guess. He also eagled the last hole to finish solid.

Lastly, I finally broke 100. I shot a 51 on the front nine and a 48 on the back. I started out pretty bad, 7 over after 3 holes, but was able to rebound from that. If you can call a 99 rebounding. I needed a bogey on 18 to get a 99 and it wasn't looking good after my first shot went way right into the crap. I was able to hit out of that and just missed a par putt, but still got the bogey I needed. That hole did take me twice as many shots as JT though. I think it was mostly due to leaving the driver in the bag. I also decided to start using my sand wedge. I should have started using it sooner.

Well, that was the golf morning. Good times. Here are a few pics of some of the holes and some of the little water "rapids". Enjoy.







1 comment:

  1. we are going tomorrow to play granite falls for 15 bucks! not free but 15 bucks is good deal. i shot a 89 last week! needless to say, Ken's pointers definetly helped! no more slice! we may need to bring him to Spring Training

    ReplyDelete