Saturday, August 29, 2009

Bus Trip

Here we are in Yakima, WA for a 3 game series. It was a short trip this morning from Spokane, about 3 hours.

It really doesn't matter how long a bus trip is, there will be a lot of sleeping on it. I, for one, love to sleep on the bus and I get asked all the time how I can sleep the way I do. First of all, I have my own seat. That is huge. When you are sitting next to somebody else it is like trying to sleep on a plane, it's tough. I obviously can't take a picture of myself while I am sleeping, but I will try to describe it. I sit on the driver's side and put a pillow on the aisle arm rest. Then I lay sideways tucking my legs up in the fetal position. I put my backpack on the floor to support my knees so they aren't just hanging off the seat. If I need to adjust, I will turn and lay on my back and cross my legs against the window. It is actually not that hard to do. 9 years of practice also helps.

Here is the funny thing about baseball bus trips. When we leave after the game, nobody sleeps even though it is the middle of the night. They just finished playing a game and are all usually still full of energy. There are movies playing, people on cell phones talking and texting, PSP playing, iPod listening, and a lot of trash talking. If it is a longer trip (6 hours), then usually by about 3 am, people start to sleep. When we travel in the morning, a movie goes on, but lots of guys are out. When you normally don't have to be at the field until early afternoon, late nights and sleeping in become habit. The 9:30 bus ride this morning was an example. There were more guys sleeping in mid-morning than ones that do in the middle of the night. Weird.

I thought it would be funny to take pictures of some of the guys sleeping that were around me to get an idea of the creative sleeping positions.








And lastly, here is a short video of a guy trying to sleep without really trying to sleep......the head bob.

No comments:

Post a Comment