Tuesday, September 8, 2009

End of Season

Our last game was on Sunday and we went out in fine fashion with a huge win at home. The home crowd got to see Jason Ogata with the batting title, an Indians win, and a spectacular fireworks show.

The end of the season is pretty hectic for us athletic trainers. Luckily, we got to finish at home so it allowed me to do a lot during those last 3 days that I would have otherwise had to do afterwards. Here are some of the things I do:

Exit physicals - one of the most important things at the end of the year. We have to document and sort of problems that anyone has at the end of the year so that if they need any offseason follow up, work comp can take care of it if is work related. Every player has to fill out a form that has this information. If they say they hurt themselves during the year and it is not on the exit physical form, then that is a problem.

Inventory - one of the most boring things at the end of the year. It is important to get a good count of what is left at the end of the year so that whomever has to make the order for the next year knows what they are working with. It is more time consuming than anything. I was able to do all of that before the last game. Benefit of finishing at home.

Player travel - we are the middle man between the front office and players for their travel home. All of the flight info or driving money goes through me. Once these guys are all gone, it is a huge burden lifted. At the end of the year everyone just wants to go home, so when there are problems it is never good.

Packing up, part 1 - the athletic training room has to be packed up to a point. Things just can't be left out all offseason so cabinets are filled, boxes are packed, and everything is just generally cleaned. Some things have to go back to Surprise to the complex and that has to be prepared too. The small athletic training room in Spokane was easy.

Packing up, part 2 - I have to pack up all of my personal belongings. The ballpark stuff usually fits in one big bag, but this year I had to use an extra side box also. The house having to be packed up is no fun neither. Fortunately, the place we stayed at had most everything there, so not a lot was unpacked. I mostly had to wash and pack my clothes. Fitting it all into the car is also a fun little puzzle to put together. Having to carry baby stuff is a large addition to the car.

I was able to do all of this during the last 3 game homestand and in the first part of Monday. It was good because I got to start the drive home on Monday afternoon instead of Tuesday morning in the darkness.

I will have pics and commentary about the trip home coming up. In real time, I am already halfway home, but in blog time I am just leaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment